Thursday 19 May 2011

Potted Kitchen Herbs

Again here is another blog idea I found that I absolutely LOVE but can't remember where I saw it.  I will however try to find it so you can see her cute work.  For Mother's Day I decided to make these for my mom and my mom-in-law.  They turned out pretty cute.  I even made one for myself. I loved that my daughter was able to help me do this.  We worked on it from start to finish.
You will need:

Herb of choice
Pot
Potting Soil
Spoons
Scrapbook Paper
Elmer's Glue
Black or Brown Distressing Ink Pad
Brown or Black Pen

We started by planting the herbs.  We used Osmocote Potting Soil. I love this stuff.  Then we started on the spoons.  first trace an outline of the spoon on the scrapbook paper so you can see how big to write the word.
Then write the word of your herb vertically.
Tear the paper with the white showing on the front.
I used the distressing ink pad on the edges of everything.
Then I rubbed Elmer's glue on the back of the paper and pressed it to the spoon.
The spoon can be purchased at your local thrift store for pennies.
Don't use a ton of glue.  Just a thin layer over the whole piece of paper.
It stuck on like a charm.  Press for like 10 seconds.
Then stick the spoon handle side down into the soil.
I did add a sign for Mother's day.  I made sure to back it so that it looked pretty either way you looked at it.
The stick is just a Kabob Wood Stick.  Again I distressed all of those papers.
I love the way they turned out and so did the moms.
It was a fun inexpensive gift.

No comments: