Saturday 14 May 2011

Crayons...What to do with all these broken crayons???

We have buckets of broken crayons.
For months now I have been looking for a way to get rid of them.
Instead of throwing them away I found a cute way to make them new again.
I wish I remembered which blog I saw them on.

First I enlisted two little helpers. 
I would score the paper with a knife and they would peel it off.
We had one bucket for crayons and one for paper.
Once we had all the crayons peeled we sorted them by color.
First preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
Then we chopped them into small pieces.
Once you have them chopped up, place them in a muffin tin.
We then mixed the colors the way we wanted.
I helped a bit by matching complimentary colors with each other.
The girls did a few themselves.
I was surprised that they helped from start to finish and loved every minute.

Once in the muffin tin place in oven and bake for 20 minutes or until they are all melted.
Remove from oven and let them cool completely.  
Once cool I just turned the muffin tin over and hit the bottom with a knife.
They all popped out easy.
See those productive smiles.
And TADA the finished product.
They all turned out so different.
The colors were fun and all worked well together.  
We actually found that a plastic jam jar worked nicely for a container.
They color in different colors.
The kids think this is really cool.

2 comments:

restlessrisa said...

LOVE IT! I threw mine all out a few months back. I like this way better :)

<3

Risa

Lacey said...

I am doing this today. I read this awhile ago and remembered you did this so I looked it up and that is our fun project for today. Thanks so much for all your fun ideas.