Friday 16 September 2011

Turning my hubby's shirt into Mine!!!

My husband cheers for my rival
yes
You heard me, the {shhhh} "Other team"
So, when he was in a golf tourney and won a UTAH t-shirt you can guess how thrilled he was
He got home and tossed it to me and said "I don't want this ugly shirt...here."
I have been wearing the boxy mens shirt as a cleaning shirt for quite some time.
I decided it was high time that I wear it as a cute girl shirt
especially since the BIG Game is tomorrow

GO UTES!

You will need:
Pins
Fabric sissors
Sewing machine
chalk
A woman's cut shirt

A:  Mens boxy shirt
B:  Lay the woman's shirt over the top and line it up in the top center
C:  See how your shirt doesn't even go past the shoulders
D:  Draw your chalk outline around the sleeve line.  I put pins in on the seem of the white shirt so that when I put the sleeve back I could see where to draw the line.
E:  This is what your chalk outline should look like.
F:  Put pins all along the chalk line.  Cut out the shirt.

G:  YOUR SHIRT SHOULD LOOK LIKE THIS

Now for the sleeves.

H:  I used the piece of the sleeve that I cut off 
I:  Chalk around the other part of the sleeve.  Again I pinned the white shirt on the seem to have a line to draw with the chalk.  Make sure you are starting from the top wear the fabric folds.  This way you have one piece when you open it up.
J:  The sleeve should resemble this. 
K:  I cut off the collar and took the front down a bit to make it a more "girlie" shirt. (I of course forgot to take a pic of this step)  See the final pic for the ides. 
The sleeves should look somewhat like this when placed on the shirt.
You can now un-pin the shirt and turn it inside out.

L:  Pin the sleeve to the shirt.  This is tricky  I had to pin it twice because i pinned it so the stitching would show the first time.  Before you sew anything turn it right side out and this will help you determine if it is right.
I sewed the sleeves on first.  Once the sleeves were on I sewed the straight line down the sides. 
It literally took one hours to do.
So easy and so much cuter than before

Not so boxy men's shirt anymore

This was a little rushed so if you have any questions just leave a comment and I will try to answer it to the best of my abilities.

If you make this I would love to see it so send me a blog link or email me.
Enjoy

And one last thing

GO UTES!!!

2 comments:

brittanyc said...

Totally, totally impressed, my little Ute fan friend! I will have to attempt a rival tee for myself. Chris would be so proud!

Allison said...

What a great idea!