Thursday 30 June 2011

Teacher Gift: Chalk Board

I had literally no idea what to make. Everything is so over done that I wanted something original. I was making a chalk board for my family and that is how the idea took hold. They were easy to make and like $2-$3 a piece. 
We will "Chalk" this year up as a success because of YOU! 

Step 1:  I went to Home Depot and had them cut me 6 1x4 of the MDF board.  It is already white and a lot easier to work with.  I had them cut them 7 inches

Step 2:  I then used a table saw and put the blade up about 1/4inch.  I laid the cut MDF board face down and made a track in the middle.

Step 3:  I got some paint and painted them the color I desired.

Step 1:  Again at Home Depot have the guy cut you as many 6X6 boards that you need.

Step 2:  Prime it.  Both sides

Step 3.  Paint the Chalk Paint on it.  I used RUST-OLEUM brand.  It was also at the HD.
Once you have let it sit for 24 hours apply embellishments.  I wanted to tie a piece of chalk to mine so I wrapped it around the chalk and a small part of the string about ten times.  Then I glued the loose end under the flower.  Use a ribbon that will match your paint. 
I love the way that they turned out.  I even heard one of the teachers gasp and say "Oh, Ellie this is darling."  That made my day:)

1 comment:

Hailey said...

Megs, I love this!! Turned out so cute!!